Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Discipline

Discipline is something that I have struggled with since my youth. I have always had a rebellious streak in me and I don't normally like to do things the way that everyone else does. Recently, I heard that less than 3% of the population is disciplined spiritually, physically and financially. I want to be one of those people.



Lucky for me, I married my wife Kat who started a job back in 2005 for Dave Ramsey. Before that time, I was not financially fit. During college, I maxed out two different credit cards. I always blew money and had no idea where it went. That all changed after Kat and I got married. I am very thankful that I am financially fit.



I have played soccer since the age of 5. I played travel soccer all of my youth and I even played one year of club soccer at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, which is where I went to college. Thus, I have always been in pretty good shape but I have never been in great physical shape. I have never been what I would call "ripped." Hopefully, that is all about to change in the next 90 days. I started a workout routine this week called P90X. My goal is to be ripped from head to toe in the next 90 days. However, for me to achieve this goal I am going to have to be disciplined. I have to work out 6 days a week, doing different routines for around an hour a day. In addition, I am following their suggested diet as well which means lots of turkey and veggies.



Last but not least, I want to "spiritually fit." I have had plenty of moments with God and I try to spend time with God. But in reality, I need to be more disciplined. I need to set time aside every day to spend with Him. That is why for the next 90 days, I plan to spend quality time with God each and every day. I plan to read through scriptures, pray daily for my needs as well as others, and I plan to listen. Matthew 5: 48 states, "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." Will I be perfect at the end of this 90 days? NO! But I will be in better shape physically, financially and most important spiritually.



1 Corinthians 9:24-27 states, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

No comments: